Turning your dream into a reality comes with lots of hard work, dedication and sleepless nights. Lawrence Jugmohan’s blog – Digital Street SA is yet again nominated for this year’s Africa’s Best Blog! The Bokem Legacy caught up with him and found out his success behind it all and he shares some of his top tips to becoming a successful blogger.
1. What does blogging mean to you?
To me, I feel It allows you to communicate with an audience and spread a message. Allows you to express yourself, how you feel about certain things as well interact and engage with readers. Today, many people are running their entire businesses on blogs
2. Talk to me about Digital Street and what the brand/website is all about.
Phew! When I look back now it feels “Digital Street” has been around forever. Basically, it’s a blogging hobby that just grew over years, earned recognition from popular international brands and just took off. I’ve never imagined this happening, not even half of it actually. It’s crazy but I’m loving each day of the ride. It’s a blog about science and technology, recently partnered with local brands in Durban that opted to use the blog as a platform to reach local readers due its reach of visitors to promote their events and products.
3. After being voted as Africa’s and South Africa’s best blogger, how do you maintain this title?
It’s not easy at all considering the competition and so many great blogs out there whom have very passionate authors as well. But then again, I love the challenge, it pushes me to my limit. I wake up everyday thinking I’m 2nd best which helps me psychologically to push a little more. I lose sleep, a lot actually. But when you’re passionate about something, it’s not considered as sacrificing the sleep
4. What are some of the challenges that comes with blogging?
– Time management. Trying to prioritize the writing and publishing of articles through the daily activities of life. It’s not as easy as it seems. Lots of research and planning needs to be taken into consideration, especially if you want to take it to the professional level.
5. How does one obtain accurate and true information in order to write an article?
Good question. It’s really difficult in this day and age with so many rumours surfacing online all day, every day. I guess, a great deal of this comes down to personal knowledgebase and picking up hints from brand representatives. Being sharp to catch the drift. Having knowledge of the past developments. It’s an on going cycle…
6. What are your top 5 tips to become a successful blogger?
– Supporting/Educating other bloggers on past experiences
– Interacting with audience/readers
7. Nominated again this year at the African Blog Awards, how do you feel?
– Ecstatic! Always a great feeling being in the nomination list once again. It’s a way of knowing that my work is being appreciated and taken into consideration amongst the best bloggers around the continent.
8. Where do you see your self as a blogger in the next 5 years?
Probably having my own blogging acamedy to educate and uplift the blogging world, especially those that look to create blogs of their own.
9. If you had the power to change one thing in the world, what will it be and why?
Living in peace. An end to all the unnecessary war and the killing of innocent lives, especially the kids that don’t really get to live with any smiles on their faces. Waking up next day praying just to see the day through without being murdered. We shouldn’t be living in that way!
We wish Lawrence and Digital Street all the best for their upcoming nominations.